The Holland Innovation Network China is looking for a new Officer for Innovation, Science & Technology at the Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Shanghai, China.
Holland Innovation Network China is a government network of Dutch Innovation, Technology and Science offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Its main tasks, as formulated in the annual work plan, are to support and stimulate knowledge-intensive collaboration between the Netherlands and China. This is accomplished by facilitating and promoting Sino-Dutch innovation, technology and science networks, and by reporting to Dutch and Chinese stakeholders about new developments in the science and technology domain.
The main task of the Innovation Officer is to identify opportunities for Dutch companies, universities, research institutes, government organisations and other relevant parties for cooperation in China. In order to achieve this, the Innovation Officer organises in-depth seminars, networking events, visits of high-level government officials and experts. Holland Innovation Network covers many (high tech-) sectors; of special interest for this position are the Life Science & Health, Chemistry and/or Advanced Materials domains.
The Innovation Officers work in teams and also cooperate with colleagues from other departments at the Dutch Embassy and Consulates in China. Each office (Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou) works relatively independently in its geographical region and reports to the Counsellor for Innovation, Technology & Science at the Dutch Embassy in Beijing.
Most of the work of the Innovation Officer in Shanghai is carried out at the Consulate General in Shanghai. Occasionally business trips within China and to the Netherlands will be required.
Duties and Activities:
- Contribute to the branding of the Netherlands as a high-tech country
- Plan and organize incoming and outgoing missions and delegations
- Organize workshops, seminars and other meetings in China
- Create and maintain an active network with innovation-driven organisations in both China and the Netherlands
- Collect and analyze data and information on Innovation, Technology & Science (in short: S&T) developments in China and report on new trends for stakeholders in the Netherlands
Level of education: university master’s degree in engineering or natural sciences in a field relevant for this vacancy.
Level of experience: preferably 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- A proactive attitude and strategic mindset
- Strong networking skills
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and cooperative attitude (team player)
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Experience in scientific research
- Capable of actively developing, maintaining and using a professional network
- Interest in Dutch innovation policy and research infrastructure
- Basic knowledge of Chinese government and research infrastructure is desired
- Excellent reading and writing skills in English. Dutch and/or Chinese language skills are preferred
Working environment (Dutch diplomatic network):
The purpose of the Dutch diplomatic network of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in China is to manage diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China and representation of the Netherlands in order to strengthen the international position in the relevant policy areas through policy support and development, and to promote and support bilateral/multilateral cooperation.
The China network of the Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of the Embassy in Beijing and Consulates General in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chongqing and Hong Kong.
Holland Innovation Network China is part of the diplomatic network of the Netherlands in China and belongs to a worldwide network of Dutch S&T officers, which is managed by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO.nl) and commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. For more information visit our website at: www.ianetwerk.nl (Dutch only).
Conditions of employment:
- The “rechtspositieregeling lokaal indienstgenomen medewerkers 2005” (Rrlok 2005) of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs is applicable to these position;
- The salary scale for this function is 8 (ranging from RMB 24.171 to RMB 36.256 per month) and the level will be determined according to the relevant work experience of the candidate;
- Employment conditions for Chinese nationals will be in accordance to the Chinese government’s Diplomatic Services Bureau regulations and pay grades;
- The vacancy concerns a full time (40 hours/week) position with a fixed term contract for the duration of one year, starting as soon as possible, with the possibility to extend.
If you would like more information regarding the content of this position please contact Taake Manning, Innovation, Technology and Science Counsellor / +86 (10) 8532 0218)
If you would like to have more information about the employment conditions please contact Hugo Brenninkmeijer / +86 (21) 22087208).
Candidates are required to submit their motivation letter and resume in English. The deadline for submission is Friday 11th August 2017. Candidates whose letter and resume are considered to match the formal requirements will be invited for a first interview. Should there be sufficient mutual interest, the candidates will be invited for a second interview.
If found suitable, internal candidates have priority over external candidates.